Using multiple laptops for the same event, same database?

Questions & Answers, Tips & Tricks, Users help Users
JGeo

Using multiple laptops for the same event, same database?

Post by JGeo »

I was wondering whether it is possible to use Helga on two laptops (PC's) at the same time, accessing the same database. One for reading the EMITs and printing the splits/results, and one for making corrections to the competitors database (runners who did a different course than intended, wrong emit-numbers, printing final result sheets, checking missed controls for DNQ's, etc).
I would think that MS Access is capable of doing somthing like that, when you configure one laptop as server, and one as client. But does Helga support that, and do you have to take care of something in certain cases?

Jan-Gerard, KOVZ, the Netherlands
rma
100+
100+

Re: Using multiple laptops for the same event, same database

Post by rma »

YES !

- build your net (HELGA must be present on all computers - check in stand-alone on each computer)
- on your Client(s), launch HELGA, and in the Configuration screen - Database, select the button "Relink tables" and browse to redirect to the unique HelgaDat file of the server.

however we recommand NOT to use the net to correct information received in the Finish screen through the Server (wrong emit, different courses) because of simultaneous access to the same record. Correct "where you get them and as soon as you get" and preferably use the Client for Printing results or add new inscriptions, modify status DSQ, etc ... i.e. additional tasks ...

but you will discover that HELGA is so fast that in most cases, a net is not necessary.
"only solutions"